Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wildflower Wednesday; Phlox divaricata laphamii


This woodland phlox warms the cockles of my heart every spring!  And it is spreading around in the flower beds (and in the back yard!!)  Love!!

Now, I have just noticed the dandilion.  He's free and very photogenic.  You might want to know what I do with these fellows!

About 5 years ago, I began using black trash bags to put the weeds, clippings (things not going into my compost pile), etc., etc.   I put them in a fairly sunny area (pretty much out of sight) and turn the bags over once in awhile.  It doesn't take too long - a year or two?  and I have a bag of "black gold - compost!"  The seeds in there get cooked and become inactive.  hurrah!

Happy Spring!!

SG

2 comments:

Diana Studer said...

Oh - cooking the monsters in the sun - wonder if that would work for kilometres of ivy prunings?

The dandelions I can live with happily, there will be a bird to eat the seeds.

Shady Gardener said...

Here I am, months later! Diana, Yes. I would put them in the bags!